Ergonomics and workplace ergonomics tips
Ergonomics means “fitting a job to a person” and when that is done correctly, it can help lessen muscle fatigue, increases productivity and reduces the number and severity of work-related injuries. Workplace injuries cost employers and employees billions of dollars every year. Some of the more common worksite injuries are: carpal tunnel syndrome (wrist), low-back pain, tendinitis (an inflammation in your arm or leg), bursitis (inflammation in your shoulder or elbow), neck pain and headaches.
How a chiropractor can help with a job-related ergonomic injury
The goal of Dr. Weigle from Absolute Health Chiropractic in Gainesville is to help maintain the health of your spinal column and overall bone alignment to prevent further injury. Besides education and further information about the importance of an ergonomically-orientated workplace, Dr. Weigle will go over a chiropractic plan specifically for you.
If you have:
- neck pain or headaches, Dr. Weigle can perform a neck adjustment, called cervical manipulation, to loosen up the joints of the cervical vertebrae in the neck. This can alleviate the pain caused by a pinched nerve and restore a full range of motion.
If you have:
- carpal tunnel, Dr. Weigle can correct improper alignment in your spine since a misalignment in the spine can contribute to the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. She may also adjust the carpal bones themselves.
If you have:
- lower back pain, Dr. Weigle can correct this by manually adjusting the alignment of the lumbar spine. This alignment will decrease the pain in the lower back, increase range of motion and restore mobility.
If you are seeking any of the above relief, Absolute Health Chiropractic can help. Combined with spine alignments and suggestions on how to prevent further injury, Dr. Weigle will work with you to improve your overall health.
Chiropractic Approach to Ergonomics and the Prevention of Workplace Injuries
Now that you know a little bit more about ergonomics, here are a few things you can do at your workplace to prevent some of these injuries:
- Ensure that your desk is the right height for you.
- Your feet should be touching the floor.
- Your office chair should be adjusted to provide lumbar support.
- Adjust the height of your monitor.
- Avoid twisting and turning your head to view documents or your computer monitor.
- When typing, keep your wrists straight, your shoulders perpendicular to the floor and your forearms parallel to the floor.
- When using the phone, use a headset or speaker phone. Trying to hold the phone between your shoulder and cheek will lead to neck pain and headaches.
- Take note of other hazards in the office, such as indoor air quality, poor ventilation, chemicals that might be stored in the office; too bright or too dim lightning. These hazards can cause headaches and stress, creating other injuries, such as neck and back strain.
- Remember, pain from cumulative trauma may appear days or years later.
Chiropractor Dr. Weigle | Absolute Health Chiropractic – Workplace Ergonomics Chiropractor in Gainesville, FL | 4110 NW 37th Place, Suite D | Gainesville, FL 32606 | (352) 377-7373 | Map & Directions